Why Peat Free?
Peat is a phenomenal natural resource for tackling climate change. Global peatlands store more than twice as much carbon as all the world’s forests, trapping this carbon and preventing it from contributing to global warming.
Our aim is to protect our precious peatlands and protect our planet, by not using peat as a growing medium in our houseplants. Our plants are 97% peat free, and we are working on the remaining 3%.
The problem with the houseplant industry
Everyone wants to feel like they are making a positive environmental impact with their choices, but being a truly ethical consumer can be extremely difficult.
Many brands make bold claims to be more ‘sustainable’, ‘the greener choice’, and ‘help you reduce your carbon footprint’, while, in fact, often conducting unsustainable practices.
Customers are manipulated into believing that these products are more eco-friendly than they really are.
This is known as "Greenwashing".
One of the biggest environmental problems we face, is the use of peat in the houseplant industry.
When we buy plants for our homes, it's hard to think they are causing environmental damage to our planet - they are plants, after all!
But the reality is that most houseplants are grown in carbon rich peat soil and have travelled many miles to reach us.
Choosing houseplants that are peat free can make a huge difference in the fight against climate change.
What is peat?
Peat is created by waterlogged soils made of dead or decaying plants. As peat naturally accumulates over time, it forms peatlands (wetland landscapes).
Globally, peatlands are the largest natural terrestrial carbon store, storing more carbon than all other vegetation types in the world combined. (IUCN)
Peatlands store 30% of global carbon, and when drained and damaged, they exacerbate climate change, emitting two gigatonnes of CO2 every year.
In the UK, peat is extracted from its natural habitats for various uses, the most common being horticulture. Damaged UK peatlands emit more carbon every year than all the HGVs on our roads.
The use of peat in our plants is having a massive impact on our planet and its resources. We're here to change that.
What makes us different?
The UK houseplant market is not short of competition, but what’s missing is a sustainable option for customers to buy houseplants that don’t just look good but do good too.
We grow our plants in our UK glasshouses in a recycled peat free medium – using the most honest and sustainable methods possible. So, you can rest assured that buying our plants is a vote to make lasting positive change for our future.
Our houseplants are:
- UK grown
- 97% peat free *We are working on the remaining 3%.
- Virgin plastic free
- FSC certified packaging
- 100% recyclable packaging
- Watered by our retention system in our glasshouse
- Grown in a glasshouse heated by a biomass boiler, avoiding the use of gas